A few things. First, people here don't really wear shorts. If they do, most of them are jean shorts. I've been having a lot of realizations like this. Today we walked around an area called Retiro, which was not very nice. They had all of us walk around with a tour guide (we were divided into a few groups), who flooded us with way too much info which has already gone in one ear and out another. The one place that was worth visiting today in Retiro was the site of the 1992 Israeli Embassy Bombings. It is now a park, but you can see the outline of where the building was on the wall of the building next door.
The other night I went to two parties. The first was at Chabad -- which in Spanish is pronounced the same but spelled "Jabad" (they spell a ח with a J, which can get annoying) -- and the second was at Hillel in Belgrano. Both were Purim parties, and both were great parties. It was amazing to meet people who were speaking Spanish, English, and Hebrew! We left Hillel at 5:30. I still have yet to step foot in a club! Haha that will happen soon enough.
What else is there to tell? I still have yet to meet many other Argentines - or Porteños as they are truly called. I saw a lot at Chabad and Hillel (there were only a few Americans there - which was great). I'm almost happy that I didn't go out in Palermo because there were so many Americans that would've been there (not that I don't love you my American buddies). Tomorrow we're due for some more orienting. Today is my 4th day in Argentina. It feels as if I've been here for 3 weeks! Maybe it is all the walking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
J,
ReplyDeleteSuch awesome pictures and posts! Your room looks just like it should. I would love to hear about the people you are staying with. So glad you found Hillel in Buenos and that you celebrated Purim. You need to go to a nightclub soon (usually the first thing I do once I deplane and find out where the nearest Sephora is).
Have you found me a wife yet?
Love,
Daniel