Later in the weekend we went to la playa (that's the beach for all of you non-hispanohablantes). We took a 5 hour bus to Mar del Plata. Buses here are nothing like buses in the US. There are three options (from least to most expensive): semi-cama, ejecutivo, and suite. A semi-cama ride to Mar del Plata from BA was 100 pesos (that's about 30 USD) and was much nicer than any bus you've ever ridden in the US. On the way back the only option that we had was suite, which was only a difference of about 30 pesos (a little more than 7 USD), and featured a fully reclinable bed. Anyway, I was highly impressed with the bus setup that Argentina has established.
View Larger Map
The beach was great. The sand was very dark. Everyone on the beach was drinking mate. Of course I am used to lots of people drinking mate in BA, but on the beach there was not one person (or group, because mate is shared by your whole group) without it. Therefore I got a bombilla (mate straw) to remind me of it. The water was not too cold, but really enjoyable. I guess I was expecting a little bit of a smaller beach town, not a city of one million people on the beach. Nevertheless, we had a great time the night that we spent there. I didn't get much sleep this weekend. I think that is starting to become a trend. Somewhere in the colonization of South America Spain forgot to bring over the siesta, or perhaps that was ditched when Argentina declared independence. Nevertheless, I wish that it existed here. I think most of us Americans have instituted it ourselves anyway.
On a general note, there are still things that I am noticing slowly living in BA. For example, when ordering empanadas at a table, don't order individually; you must order all of your empanadas together. Otherwise your waiter will give you a confused look and bring you the wrong thing. Also, you can order tap water, and it's drinkable in BA, but if you do, be prepared to be asked if you are sure that is what you want about 3 times before you actually get it because its something that is just not done here.
A view of the Congress building
Fruits in Mar del Plata
La playa
We walked past a triathalon where the Cruz Roja (Red Cross) had a medical tent. Thought of all of my buddies at the Boston Marathon in just a few weeks.
At the supermercado in Mar del Plata. Milk only comes in bags. Strange? I think so.
Real exchange rate anyone?
Beach at the end of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment