For some strange reason there are a few technology advances that Argentina just has not adopted yet. One such technology is that of the modern lock and key. The keys here look like they are still following the locksmith technology of the medieval era. The keys do not use spring loaded pins and are really cumbersome to lug around (although perhaps not that much) while the locks are relatively difficult to open and do not seem that secure. It is just one of those things that you would think they would have in some places but actually are not found anywhere in the country. Perhaps one day I will profit from introducing Schlage to Argentina.
Change of subject. There are some things that remind me how life used to be years ago. I really like old "classic" experiences. I like seeing relatively older things still being used daily in today's society. Things like cars even as recent as the 70s or 80s really aren't used anymore. I had one of these classic experiences the other day as I was riding the commuter train out to the suburbs of Buenos Aires ("la provincia"). I was riding the old rundown train out to a town called Vicente Lopez at sunset, watching the sun light up the sky and all of the riders returning home after work ready for the weekend.
The best part of that train ride however, was what awaited me at the end. I took the train about 15 minutes outside of the city (Capital Federal) to a town called Vicente Lopez to volunteer with the Red Cross of Argentina (La Cruz Roja). The office in Vicente Lopez is one of the most active of the ones in and around the city, and was interested to hear from me! After trying to contact the Cruz Roja here for months, I finally saw a first aid station on Avenida 9 de Julio during the Bicentenario and asked one of the volunteers for information on how I could join. Already I have gone to the office twice and observed an MCI drill for one of their advanced first responder trainings. I have much more training than they do, and the scope of practice of an EMT is much wider (you can expect an actual ambulance -- and the Cruz Roja does not operate any ambulances -- to arrive with a full fledged doctor here in argentina, there are no paramedics or EMTs except in some provinces). Visiting them refreshed my desire to get back on the ambulance when I am at home. I really hope to actually volunteer at an event or two with them before I leave. They were very nice and welcoming.
Today Argentina defeated Nigeria in their first World Cup 2010 game! Also, the US tied with the UK in our first game! Successes on all counts. A tie was completely unexpected and was a great victory for the US (even though in most US sports we are used to ties being let downs). I am very excited for more US and Argentina world cup games. When Argentina was playing it was rainy. The rain plus the match resulted in a total of zero people on the street here in Buenos Aires. When Argentina scored their one goal, everyone who was in a car started honking and screaming. I just watched the game with friends, but it was still very exciting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment